Saturday, July 14, 2007

What am I doing?

This is a question that graduate students of creative writing ask ourselves all the time.

Very unhelpful and disconcerting are internet posts like this, which highlight every possible anxiety we might have about the practicality and ultimate feasability of our writerly pursuits.

Much more heartening is an article like this, which reviews a newly released debut by a recent sfsu grad. Thanks to Lizzy for the tip.

If my life is mine and I have the privilege to spend it following a thing I love, I choose to stay hopeful.

(Lizzy has inspired me to proclaim this. She is a splendid soul.)

3 comments:

Lizzy Acker said...

no YOU are amira. my grandma (an old friend of the author's family) is sending me that book. on the phone she said "i read it in one day but i just don't know what to think so i'm sending it to you so you can tell me what you thought." i'm taking this to mean it is somehow subversive and i can't wait to read it.

AWP said...

ok. we both are. can i borrow it when you are done? she's reading out in berkeley next week. am thinking of making the trek ALL THE WAY to the east bay to see her. i love subversive grandmothers.

Lizzy Acker said...

you should go. i'll loan it to you when i get back.