Sunday, August 12, 2007

Overheard

"Well, I mean...I've loved books forever, and so I love words, and so this makes sense. And it's just paper. I live in San Francisco, so dealing with glass is really out of the question--all those stacks of plates and saucers and things. Dealing with glass really freaks me out, even just getting near it, really. And furniture's too heavy. Anyway, this stuff [gesturing around her at bins full of filed, celo-covered pieces of paper] is so much more interesting than glass or wood. The thing about paper is that it is supposed to be ephemeral but I've got pieces here that are more than 120 years old and they look brand new. It's magical."

--one of the dealers at Hal Lutsky's Vintage Paper Fair, which, this past weekend, was visiting the County Fair Building in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park

No comments: